Friday, January 6, 2017

The Word Of The Day Is......

Pumpkin!

I woke up this morning with a craving for something pumpkin.  I spent the morning making pumpkin muffins and pumpkin soup.

I had a box of Trader Joe's Pumpkin Bread mix. As I was dutifully folding the mix into the liquid ingredients with a rubber spatula as the directions told me to do, it dawned on me the muffins weren't gluten-free.  I've found that I feel better avoiding wheat.  Whether it is the gluten that bothers me or possibly all the modifications that have been done to wheat over the years, I don't know - and it's a different blog topic anyway.  As long as I had gotten this far, I might as well finish making the muffins.  My husband will eat them, and I can always take some over to the neighbors.

I jotted down this recipe for Pumpkin Soup, probably sometime in October, but never got around to making it.  Today was the day.  I don't know who to credit for the recipe but I'm sure it came from a magazine or newspaper insert.

PUMPKIN SOUP

2 TBSP butter
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp pumpkin spice
¼ tsp nutmeg
1 15oz can of pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
32 oz vegetable broth
¼ cup pure maple syrup
⅓ cup sour cream
S&P

Melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium-low heat.  Add the spices and stir for about 1 minute.  Add the pumpkin puree and the vegetable broth and keep stirring/whisking.  Heat to almost boiling.  Add the maple syrup and stir to combine.  Continue stirring for about 1 minute. Taste.  This is where I added salt and pepper.  Taste again and add more if necessary.  Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.

That is the recipe as I wrote it down.  It is a sweet cream soup.  Husband wasn't impressed but I liked it enough to do it again with a few changes. I would probably use chicken broth instead, just to up the protein content a bit.  I would also use more cumin, and possibly a little chili powder.  I like "stuff" in my soup, so I would probably saute some onions, celery and carrots, maybe even a little sweet potato in a separate pan.  I would add this to the soup after I added the syrup.  And instead of stirring in the sour cream to the whole pot, I would add dollops to each serving dish.



I wonder if they still are serving pumpkin spice lattes at Starbucks?  Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment