Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Product Reviews: Special K Crustless Quiche, Green Giant Veggies, Dole Dippers, Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate, Noosa Yoghurt

While I'm ruminating over some more thoughtful blog topics, I thought I would do a quick review of some products I've tried recently.

Disclaimer:  Fresh, made from scratch meals are almost always better than processed items.  However, occasionally I choose to use my time for other things - like grandchildren and exercise (LOL exercising my desire to watch TV or read a book or play Candy Crush is more like it) - instead of cooking, which I don't really enjoy anyway.


I give this product 3 (out of 5) stars.  It tasted fine.  There are two per package.  You take it out of the wrapper, put it on a microwave safe plate and cook for 2.5 minutes.  Let sit for 1 minute.  I put a dollop of sour cream on mine.  It was okay.  Not delicious, but not yucky.  I may keep some on hand for those days I'm running late.  It has 190 calories and 10 grams of protein.


This product gets 4 out of 5 stars.  I thought it was pretty good.  Husband thought it was okay.  I added a little of the same sauce I put on the chicken I was cooking for some flavor.  I think it would make a great base for low carb "fried rice".


If I were rating this after the first time I tried it, it would get no stars.  The first time, I microwaved the Mashed Cauliflower, following the directions on the package.  It turned out very running and bland.  The pieces of bacon are decent sized but a little over powering.  I had a second box of this Green Giant Mashed Cauliflower so I thought I would try it in the oven.  This would rate a 1 - 1.5 stars.  It thickened up a little bit after I took the plastic wrap off for the last 10 minutes.  And thickened even more while cooling.  After 20 minutes, I tasted it.  Better, but still the consistency of soup that had gotten too thick.  It definitely did not appear like the picture on the package!

If you are on a low carb diet, and looking for a mashed potato substitute, here is the recipe I recommend.  Bacon & Smoked Gouda Low Carb Cauliflower Puree from the I Breathe I'm Hungry blog.  I found the key was to microwave the cauliflower as directed in the recipe, and not steam it as I would normally.  It comes out much drier, and thus has a consistency more like mashed potatoes.


This is just yum, yum, yummy.  5 stars for the lemon.  320 calories and 12 grams of protein per container.  I get 2 servings out of each container.  I've tried coconut, pumpkin and sour cherry as well, 4.5 stars.



And my new favorite treats/desserts!  I don't each much fruit anyway, so I figured chocolate covered fruit was better than no fruit at all, right?  I enjoy dark chocolate with my evening red wine, so I thought I'd try the cabernet flavor dark chocolate!  Desserts?  All 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment