Sunday, May 22, 2016

Spiritual Sunday - What You Think Of Me

....is none of my business.

Oh Lord, I have had trouble with this concept forever!  I want to be well respected.  I want to be liked.  I want to be known for my kindness and my integrity.  So how can what you think of me NOT be of concern?

I have been a student/fan of Emmet Fox for a long time.  I'm probably on my tenth year of reading "Around The Year With Emmet Fox: A Book Of Daily Readings."  This means that I have read the following passage at least ten times, but today it seems to have taken hold.

"It is unquestionable that the spiritualization of thought does undoubtedly lead the student to simplify his mode of life, for so many things that previously seemed important are now found to be unimportant and uninteresting.  It is unquestionable too, that he gradually finds himself meeting different people, reading different books, spending his time differently; and that his conversation naturally changes its quality.  These things follow upon the change of heart; never can they precede it.

Now we see how vain is the foolish attempt to cultivate the good opinion of other people under the impression that such a thing can be of any real advantage to us.....The applause that follows upon outer acts is the only reward they ever bring, and that results worthwhile are only to be obtained in the Secret Place of consciousness."

Whether you like/admire/respect me is a matter of ego (or fear based thinking).  Whether I AM happy with myself, my values, my morals, my behavior, my thoughts, etc., is what truly matters.

When we feel drawn to new experiences, new relationships, new interests, we shouldn't let the opinions of others (what they think of us) sway our actions.  On some level, a lesson has been learned and it is time to move forward in your expanded thinking and spiritual awareness.  Journey on!

Wishing you blessings for a beautiful day!

1 comment:

  1. it's the awareness for me...sometimes it's the thinking that screws me up. q

    ReplyDelete