Friday, May 1, 2015

Affirmations - My Foot!

I'm a firm believer in the power of positive thinking, and affirming your desires.  I've been practicing this art for more than 10 years now.  Even though I have had many demonstrations of the power of words, I'm still surprised how quickly things can change when you put your mind and thoughts to any problem.

I have had a bunion for years, and years, and years.  It has never bothered me until recently.  My foot has been throbbing.  It has been very hard to find comfortable shoes.  My big toe is starting to cross over onto the toe next to it.  Last winter, I saw a foot surgeon, and was given the news that I would need reconstructive surgery to fix the problem.  The good news was that no one ever died from a bunion, so surgery wasn't urgent.  The bad news was 6 weeks in a cast with no weight bearing on that foot.  Okay, I could probably deal with that, but it was the 6 weeks without a full on shower or bath that freaked me out.  It turns out that was not so difficult a thing to fix.  We installed a hand held shower head/nozzle in the master bath, and with the aid of a shower chair, and a loving husband, I will probably be able to deal with it.

Now my immediate problem was paying for the procedure.  We are in that group of middle income Americans who retired early, and then got caught in the middle of Obamacare.  Finding decent, affordable healthcare for us has been a challenge.  There were 3 options.  Go back to work in order to receive healthcare benefits from an employer.  Nope, I like retirement.  Take early social security so we could afford the health insurance policy we were used to - a low deductible and 80/20 health care cost.  We elected not to do that because by taking early social security, we would make too much money to receive the tax credits offered by Obamacare, and it would cost even more than we would make through social security to get the plan we wanted.  The final option was to purchase a plan through the Washington Healthcare Alliance, and just deal with the high deductible.  The plan we chose had a $6500 deductible, but once that is satisfied, there is no more out of pocket expense.

So here I am ready to consider the surgery, but I will have to come up with $6500.  I bought lottery tickets.  I affirmed my abundance.  I bought more lottery tickets.  I pared down my budget as best I could.  I bought even more lottery tickets.  And then I went back to affirming a perfect answer to this situation.

Out of the blue, our financial advisor called to let us know he had some changes he wanted to make in our portfolio.  We were just chatting about things going on in our lives, and why I brought up my bunion, I'm not really sure.  I didn't want to dip into investments that would decrease our monthly income.  He suggested a few changes, and somehow I walked away with $5000 AND an increase in our monthly income.  (If you are looking for a great financial advisor, I highly recommend Timothy Yount at Edward Jones in Silverton, OR.)

I have to say that every time I have one of these demonstrations, it is a "holy shit, this really works" moment for me.  And it is why I blog about this topic often.

If you are new to affirmations, I will share a few of my favorites with you.  My goal is to share 10 affirmations each month.

1.   I am prosperous.
2.   I am healthy, wealthy and wise.
3.   I strive for serenity in all situations.
4.   Out of this situation, only good can come.
5.   I am relaxed and centered, and I have plenty of time for everything.
6.   Every day in every way, I am getting better and better.
7.   I am filled with creative ideas.
8.   I deserve the best, and the best is coming to me now.
9.   I choose to look for the good wherever I am.
10. I am abundantly inspired in all that I do.

Pick out one or two, or pick all ten, and repeat them 100 times a day.  It is not as difficult as it sounds.  Affirmations can be said while you are driving, while you are in the shower, while you are waiting to pick up the kids at school, while you are on hold on the phone, while you are waiting for your computer to boot up, during TV commercials, and so on.  I, personally, find it empowering to say them out loud, but that is not always convenient.  Saying affirmations mentally is just as effective, and in fact it is a form of prayer.  The goal in the long run is to train your mind to choose a positive thought instead of a fear-based/negative thought.  I can tell you that once you have experienced a demonstration using power of affirmative speech, you will be hooked.

Please note, it is not just about saying the words, you have to take the actions that those words inspire.  I have affirmed that I am slender and fit thousands and thousands of times, but the only time I see results is when I increase my daily exercise, pay attention to what I eat, and increase the amount of water I drink daily. It is a work in process, but the act of affirming that I am slender and fit inspires me to take the steps to achieve that goal.

There are lots of books on there on this subject.  The Power Of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale, Your Word Is Your Wand by Florence Scovel Shinn, The Dynamic Laws of Prosperity by Catherine Ponder, Creative Visualization by Shatki Gawain, anything by Louise Hay, to name a few.

So go ahead, giving affirming a try.  You won't be sorry!

Note:  I want to give credit to those people that wrote these affirmations.  Alas, I've been collecting affirmations for so many years that I don't really know who to credit for what.  I know some of the above affirmations have come from Catherine Ponder, Florence Scovel Shinn, Louise Hay and Woodeene Koenig-Bricker.

No comments:

Post a Comment