Thursday, August 14, 2014

The Power Of Positive Thinking - A Book Review

The book, by Norman Vincent Peale, is a classic in terms of New Thought books.  Once you get past the old style of writing, speaking and relaying of stories, you will find classic gems and ideas, with practical pieces of advice on how to approach life in a positive fashion.  He bases most of his suggestions on the teachings of Jesus and uses experiential/anecdotal stories to support his teachings.

Here are the Chapter Titles:

Believe In Yourself
A Peaceful Mind Generates Power
How To Have Constant Energy
Try Prayer Power
How To Create Your Own Happiness
Stop Fuming And Fretting
Expect The Best And Get It
I Don't Believe In Defeat
How To Break The Worry Habit
Power To Solve Personal Problems
How To Use Faith In Healing
When Vitality Sags, Try This Health Formula
Inflow Of New Thoughts Can Remake You
Relax For Easy Power
How To Get People To Like You
Prescription For Heartache
How To Draw Upon That Higher Power

I started my Spiritual Journey in the mid 1990s.  It was a time when I stopped thinking in terms of religion (dos and don'ts) and more in terms of spirituality (my personal relationship with God).  I read many of the newer books published under the categories of New Age, New Thought, Metaphysics and Spirituality.  At some point, I discovered the older ones - those written by Florence Scovel Shinn, Emmet Fox, Charles Fillmore and so on.  The book, The Power Of Positive Thinking, was published in 1952.  Honestly, I didn't really learn anything new reading this book.  It is most likely that many of the authors of newer books on Spirituality were inspired by these other authors from the early and mid 20th century.  Still, I'm glad I read it.  When I'm browsing used book stores or estate sales, if I find other books by Norman Vincent Peale, I will most likely pick them up.  Very rarely will any of us pick up a non-fiction book and read entirely new ideas.  The information is the same thing that has been written before, just worded differently, or marketed in such a way that it grabs the attention of the general public (The Secret is an example of genius marketing).  And there is nothing wrong with that.  We all respond to things differently.  The way one author words something may just click, where another writer expressing similar ideas just does not have the same draw for you.

Will I read this book again?  Hard to say.  However, my yellow highlighter did get a good workout, so obviously there were some gems that caught my attention.

Next up, I'm re-reading The Celestine Prophesy.

Happy Reading All!





No comments:

Post a Comment