Saturday, May 10, 2014

Don't Worry, Be Happy

Sounds good, right?  Getting to the point when you can just turn off the negative chatter in your mind isn't always easy.

I come from a long line of worriers on my dad's side of the family.  Oh, he believed in potential - the potential for everything to turn into a disaster that is.  A simple case of diarrhea from eating too much rich food was surely a pre-cursor to colorectal cancer.  A squeal when you tapped the brakes meant the brakes were bound to fail, causing a head on collision.  It couldn't be that the brake pads were damp because of early morning dew.  Having a disagreement with my husband meant I would be asking about asking divorce attorneys.  Or could we just be having one of little fights all couples have over stupid issues.  None of these potentials for disaster ever occurred in his life.  In fact, for all the worrying he did, he lived a pretty uncomplicated life.  I'm not sure how that happened, because I do believe that we do attract those types of experiences about which we think.

Perhaps it was my mother's attitude that counteracted my dad's worst case scenario way of looking at things.  While I don't necessarily recall my mom being a cock-eyed optimist, I do remember that when difficult situations arose, she had a calmness about her.  I guess I'm thinking about my mom's influence on my life because Mother's Day is tomorrow.  I've recently been searching for something to spark my spirituality - something to kick my spiritual butt into action once again.  When I went looking for something to read as part of morning prayer time, I really shouldn't have been surprised to find The Power Of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale in a box of books I had collected from my mom's estate.  I picked it up and started reading, and knew at once that this was just want I needed.  I could feel that energy of the words changing my vibration.  In my life, as I supposed it is in  many others, there are a few challenges that could be recipes for disaster.  I find those dreaded "what ifs" running through my mind.  I'm already working on solving problems that have not even occurred.  That's me channelling my dad, bless his heart.  But then I remember how my mom would have reacted.  I close my eyes, take a deep breath, say a little prayer and affirm that out of all situations only good can come.  That is one of my go to affirmations.  It's not easy, training yourself to shift your focus from calamity to peace, but it is possible.  It takes practice, but once you realize what a difference it makes in your life and your outlook on life, you won't go back to worrying (at least not for long).  So don't worry - be happy.

Enjoy this little bit of joy to help you on your way! Pharrell Williams - (If You're) Happy


No comments:

Post a Comment