Sunday, February 16, 2014

Trusting God When It Doesn't Make Sense

.......THAT is true faith!  We've all been there.  Those WTF Jesus moments.  I apologize if that offends anyone; it is not meant to.  It is just recognizing those moments when we think we are doing everything right, and then something goes wrong.  We think we are headed toward heaven, only to find ourselves looking at hell in a hand basket.

I was watching Joel Osteen this morning, and that is exactly what his sermon was about.  In fact, I "borrowed" the title from what he said this morning.  If you check his website, www.joelosteen.com , it is program #606 under the link to Broadcasts.  It's well worth the half hour's time to listen to his message.

Here are some of the notes I took during the program:

"Sometimes what we see as a set-back is really a set up for something better.

Every set-back is not the enemy.    Everything works for our good.

If God (Infinite Intelligence, Spirit or whatever name you choose to use for that Power Greater Than Ourselves) allows it, it must be strategic for our own destiny.  God is creating opportunities."

I put that information in quotes although they may not be exact.  My shorthand is not what it used to be.

We've all had setbacks.  And it takes that old 20/20 hindsight to realize that it was a set up for something better.  It's happened to me many times.  No one said the process was easy, but it just that - a process.  I was fired from a job that I thought was the best job ever, and was fearful I'd never make enough money again.  A few years later, here I am, having reached critical mass, I was able to retire, to begin traveling (to where I want to go this time around), to enjoy what really is THE BEST JOB EVER - being a grandma.  Had I not been fired, I'd probably still be working.  It was just a set-back - a "plot twist" a term I've heard being used recently.

I had a bout with thyroid disease.  In my mind, I thought I could handle in out a spiritual level.  I thought I had advanced enough that I could heal myself using spiritual techniques.  Ha!  A lot I knew.  I went through four years of medical treatment before I was considered in remission.  But you know what I got in the long run?  I received a number of eye surgeries, paid for by my health insurance, which included lid lifts and corrected vision - things I had been praying for, mind you - all because of this set-back.

Set-backs - not the enemy - they are just opportunities waiting to happened.  I love the phrase "strategic for our own destiny".  We all know we are what we are today because of what happened yesterday.  The more we realize that, the more we look for the blessings in our set-backs, the quicker the rewards will appear.

With blessings to all,
Betsy

PS:  Joel Osteen's story about his wife's missing ring is hilarious.  Listen to program #606 if only to hear that.  You will come away chuckling about set-backs!

No comments:

Post a Comment