Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Joys Of Dieting With A Double Gemini

Along with a large number of the other people, right around the first of the year, my husband and I decided we needed to make some dietary changes.  We are headed south to warmer climates and will be wearing shorts and bathing suits.  We both need to drop between 20-40 pounds.  With a 20 pound weight loss, I'd look better.  With a 30 pound weight loss, I'd look good. With a 40 pound weight loss, damn, I'd look great.

My initial thought was to start with Atkins.  We bought Atkins products - frozen meals, meal bars, desserts.  I don't like to cook.  I can cook, but I don't get the pleasure from it that those who list "cooking" as a hobby do.  This lasted a few days.  It really is hard to eat that much protein.

Next up, the low carb plan.  Okay, this was better.  I do like my veggies with my meat.  I'd heard eating at least 60 grams of protein a day was what I should aim for.  There are these protein drinks from Costco, I think they are called Premium Shakes, that we were using.  Two shakes per day gave you the 60 grams of protein that this meal plan called for.  They were filling but they weren't anything I looked forward to drinking each day.

Two days later, jeez, I want a sandwich!  Scrap the low carb plan, I'm on to proper food combining.  I had followed the Fit For Life plan (based on the work of Harvey and Marilyn Diamond) for a long time many years ago, and I did feel wonderful.  I could have a tomato, lettuce, onion, cucumber and avocado sandwich.  Yummy!  However, now that I look back at it, I didn't really need to lose any weight at that time.  I just wanted to eat more healthily.  I can do this!  Proper food combining is not difficult.  Well, except when you want cheese and nuts on your side salad accompanying that roasted chicken.  Or if you want a toasted cheese sandwich.  Oy vey!

I was driving my husband nuts.  He is still using the shakes and leaning toward low carb meals.  For my part, I try to cook only meats and vegetables plus a salad for dinner; no white potatoes or bread.

For me, well, I am currently trying to eat just whole foods.  However, I have found this harder than I thought.  There are a lot of processed foods out there.  A lot of the items used in recipes are processed.  I knew I would not commit to this either, for more than a few days.

While browsing Pinterest looking for recipes, I stumbled on a blog that cracked me up.  If I can find the blog again, I will share it here, but of course, at the time I didn't know I was going to want to refer back to it.  It was written by a regular mom, wanting to provide good food for her family.  She started her blog by saying that she was sharing recipes she found or developed.  She didn't know the calorie count, or how many grams of protein were in each serving, or any other nutritional information.  And she wasn't going to figure it out for anyone.  If the reader wanted to know that information, the reader could just go to another site to work it out.  (FYI, here is a website that will calculate nutritional values for your recipes, if you are interested.  http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp )  She went on to say that if you posted a comment asking for the information on her blog she may either delete the comment or respond with a smart ass comment, depending on her mood.  This is my kinda gal!  She cracked me up.

However, what I came away from her blog with was this little gem, which I have paraphrased because I said above, I don't remember what the name of the blog is.  "I do the best I can, keeping processed foods out of my family's diet.  But everyone is going to splurge at some time or another.  I can't control what my family eats outside of my home.  I'm not going to tell me kids they can't eat a cake made with a mix at a birthday party.  We go to the movies, yes, we are going to have popcorn and candy.  I figure if I can do 80% whole foods and 20% processed, I'm doing good."

So that's where I am, right this minute.  I try to do proper food combining.  I try to use only whole foods.  I try to serve my husband a dinner that works with his low carb diet.  I've been following the exercises in a dandy little book called The Ancient Secret Of The Fountain Of Youth by Peter Kelder.  I've been journalling my food and reading Julia Cameron's book The Writing Diet.  So far I've learned that I really need to quit blaming my weight gain on the 4 years of Prednisone I had to take while treating Graves Disease.  Granted, it is what spurred the weight gain initially, but it has been almost six years now since I have taken that medication.  I haven't lost the weight because I haven't put the consistent effort into the process.

Over the last few weeks, my husband has lost a few pounds.  I've lost a grand total of 0.2 pounds.  However, and I say that with emphasis, I have lost a few inches!  I am thankful for that, and I look forward to losing quite a few more - never to find them again!


No comments:

Post a Comment