Wednesday, January 1, 2014

My Favorite Things - The 2013 Rendition

And yeah…I don't mean raindrops on roses or whiskers on kittens.  I'm thinking more along the lines of Oprah.  Unfortunately for you, I'm not gifting each of you one of everything on my list. However, many of the things are my list are under $20 so you can try them out.  I am including links so you can see what I'm talking about - I haven't figured out how to import just pictures.  (Obviously, I'm a long way from calling myself a professional blogger, but that's another blog entry for the future.)

Here we go - my top 13 product finds from 2013.

1.  Jockey Underwear - specifically I love the 100% cotton Elance French Cut .

www.jockey.com

2.  DHC Skincare Products - I really love The Cleansing Milk, Antiox C,  and the Camu Camu White Day Milk with SPF 20.

www.dhccare.com

3.  Urban Decay 24/7 Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner - Although it says "waterproof" - it comes off easily with the DHC Cleansing Milk (which is not your mother's cold cream - but works like it).  The eyeliner is easy to apply, a definite plus for a make up klutz such as myself.

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod3590029

4.  Physicians Formula Lash Extending Mascara - I hope they continue to make this product.  It doesn't clump and it removes easily with the DHC Cleansing Milk.

http://www.drugstore.com/physicians-formula-lash-extending-mascara-black-brown/qxp90558?catid=183541

5.  Tempur-Pedic mattress.  I'm not even sure which model we got, but I think it was the "Cloud" line.  It was the middle of the road - not the plushest but not the bare minimum model either.  It takes a few weeks to get used to it, but I sleep so well now.  I'll never go back.

http://www.tempurpedic.com

6.  Blue Bunny Red Velvet Cake Ice Cream - Yummy!  Better than chocolate!

http://www.bluebunny.com/Products/d/Premium_Ice_Cream_Red_Carpet_Red_Velvet_Cake

7.  Obsession by Calvin Klein - For many years, I worked in an industry where it was inappropriate to use perfumes.  I understand that many people are sensitive to scents, but I missed wearing fragrances.  I missed smelling good.  Now that I am retired, I can wear perfume if I want.  And mostly, I want it for myself and my husband, but it will also be nice to have the grandkids associate a fragrance with grandma….much like every time I smell White Shoulders, I think of my grandma.  My sister-in-law, Rebecca, often wears Obsession, and I always remember how good she smells.  This year, I bought myself a bottle.  Not the $70 version below, but the $8 small bottle I found on eBay.

http://www.calvinklein.com/shop/en/SearchDisplay?storeId=10751&catalogId=12101&langId=-1&pageSize=200&beginIndex=0&searchSource=Q&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&pageView=image&searchTerm=obsession

8.  Fleece Microfiber Sheets - I stopped to look at these at Costco and got into a conversation with an elderly woman who just swore these were the most comfortable sheets ever.  I was skeptical, but needed to replace my old flannel sheets for the cooler weather, so I took a chance.  I love them!  Not so much the fleece pillowcases, but the microfiber ones that come with set are divine.

http://www.costco.com/Eurow-%2526-O'Reilly-Coral-Fleece-Microfiber-Bed-Sheet-Set---Queen.product.100070147.html

9.  M&M Pretzel - Salt and chocolate!  Does it get any better?

http://www.mms.com/us/product/pretzel

10.  Apple Products - I made the leap from android/PC products to Apple.  I love my iPhone, iPad and Mac Book Pro.  The screens look basically the same.  I am able to navigate around the systems and figure out much of it on my own - without calling my husband for assistance, who then complains because he is a true PC guy.  I won't go back.  I would like to figure out how to capture a picture (non-copy righted) to post on this blog.  Then you would have pictures, not links, after each product, but oh well - maybe in 2014.  A big thanks to all my friends who encouraged me to make the switch!

http://store.apple.com/us?afid=p219%7CMSUS&cid=AOS-US-KWM-BRAND

11.  Subaru Forester - My first Subaru and I love it.  There are a few things I would change, the primary ones being the cup holders in the front seat and the arm rests between the front seats.  They are awkwardly positioned and difficult to reach, especially if you have short legs.  The seats could be a little cushier, but as my husband pointed out - we did not buy a Lexus or other higher end vehicle.  They aren't bad, and I don't spend that much time in the car for it to be a real issue, but it will be something I consider in 10 years when we go car shopping again.

http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/forester/index.html

12.  Embryolisse - A skin care line that is fabulous.  I discovered this in a Birchbox I received (makeup and skincare samples).  I love this line.  I use this in the winter, and then the DHC products in the warmer weather.

http://www.embryolisseusa.com

And last, but certainly not least……

13.  Murphy Goode Winery - I discovered this vintner when one of their Merlots was served as a dinner pairing at The Bellagio.  Loved it so much, we made a point to stop at the Tasting Room when we were on a road trip to California.  I've joined their wine club, and every bottle I've received has been wonderful.  They run about $20-$30 a bottle.  (My back up is Columbia Crest Merlot - $8 - $10 a bottle which is more in my everyday range).

I hope you enjoyed my list of my favorite things of 2013.  I hope to find 14 new things to add at the end of 2014.  Or perhaps it will be my favorite 14 destinations of the year as we will be hitting the road again soon.

Happy New Year to all.  May your 2014 be filled with blessings, love and laughter galore!


2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading your blog. I hope you continue to write more in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have never tried Blue Bunny Red Velvet. i love Red Velvet cakes. that was our wedding cake flavor. ( :

    ReplyDelete