Monday, July 9, 2012

Recipe Collection: Low Fat/Low Calorie Cole Slaw

I love mayonaise.  It is my condiment of choice for most everything.  In my attempts to stay with a lower fat, lower calorie eating plan, giving up the regular cole slaw that I make with generous amounts of mayo was not one of the highlights.  Asian style slaw is fine in some cases, but nothing replaces creamy coleslaw with fish or barbeque.

I found this receipe at www.sparkpeople.com.  It was submitted by a user named KLAYZEE.

Number of Servings: 8
4 cups shredded cabbage
.5 cup Kraft Light Mayonnaise
1 TBS cider vinegar
2 TBS skim milk
1 TBS splenda
pinch of black pepper
    Mix together. Makes approx 8 1/2-cup servings.
    Nutritional Info
    • Servings Per Recipe: 8
    • Amount Per Serving
    • Calories: 60.8
    • Total Fat: 5.0 g
    • Cholesterol: 5.3 mg
    • Sodium: 128.4 mg
    • Total Carbs: 3.5 g
    • Dietary Fiber: 0.8 g
    • Protein: 0.8 g

I did add 1 tsp of dill weed to this recipe, and only 1 tsp of Splenda (actually, I used Truvia) and 1 tbsp of 2% milk.  It does need to sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. 

Considering I used low fat mayo, it was pretty darn good.  Even my husband said it was pretty good, and he is not a fan of low-fat anything.  If I had to choose between not having cole slaw due to the fat content, and having this recipe with the low fat mayo - I choose this recipe.  I think next time I will try some celery seed/salt instead of the dill.  And I may cut back on the vinegar a bit to see if I can omit the Truvia.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment