Sunday, July 15, 2012

Contacts To Cataracts (Part 5)

It may sound familiar, but as I said a few days ago, Oh My God!  This is so wonderful!

I am now 4 days post op on my right eye, and 2+ weeks post op on my left.  The only word that really comes to mind is miraculous.

There are only a few things I have to share about the second surgery.  First, I was asked by the doctor's office to change my surgery time from 8am to 1pm to accomodate a diabetic patient.  The woman was elderly and couldn't wait too long for her insulin and to eat.  I, on the other hand, was younger, more easily adaptible and not diabetic.  I agreed, but reluctantly.  Ayurvedically, I am a primarily a Pitta (blond hair, blue eyes, fair skin, a strong constitution) which means I get pretty cranky if I miss a meal.  I do better if I miss breakfast, but much worse if I miss or am late for lunch or dinner.  Through nobody's fault, they were running late at the surgery center (most likely due to patients needed additional recovery time), so my surgery time was bumped closer to 2:30pm.  I had last eaten at 6:30am.  I did not have an easy time of it due to being very hungry.  I developed a headache and was cranky.  I managed to retain my sense of humor and did warn the nurses I was not in a good mood.  All went well, and it was what it was.  The surgery was quick, and I got my cup of coffee right afterwards.  I was glad I had packed along a PB&J for the drive home.  If I had to do it again, I may have elected to say no to switching surgery times, or have considered delaying a week to accomodate a more urgent patient.  I don't know.  It seems silly now, this petty bitching, but at the time, it was a big deal to me.  I was hungry!

At my follow up visit the next day, less than 24 hours after surgery, I was seeing 20/30 out of my right eye.  My eye pressure was up, but I was told 50% of patients experience this.  The doctor gave me a drop to bring the pressure down.  I was released to drive and return to my regular routine, but still no heavy lifting or rubbing of the eye (which means still no eye makeup).

I came home and pretty much took it easy for the rest of the day.  My eye was still dilated and the vision was a bit fuzzy.  My husband had a headache, and so we spent the rest of the day just watching TV and hanging out.

When we woke up the next morning, I asked about his headache which was better.  He asked me how I was doing, and I looked at him quizically.  "Fine," I said.  "Why wouldn't I be?"  And then I realized - oh he's asking about my eyes.  I was seeing so well, I totally forgot I had even had surgery.

Now the one "bad" thing about the situation is that I'm seeing so well, I keep forgetting to do the whole "drops" thing.  So far, I've caught myself and haven't missed a dose, but I probably should be setting alarms on my phone to remember.  If I were working, I'm pretty sure I'd be forgetting all the time.

Right now, I'm seeing very clearly and crisply in my distance vision.  I drove yesterday for the first time.  The biggest thing I noticed is that my depth perception and peripheral vision had improved, and it was much easier to merge onto the freeway/highway.  I'm wearing "readers" that I bought at the drug store for computer and close up work.  I'd been wearing them along with my contacts before so I'm not surprised I need them now.  I can deal with it.

My next follow up visit is in 3 weeks.  At that time, we will see if I need anything stronger than readers, or if I am a candidate for monovision with one contact.  This is where you correct one eye for distance, and one eye for close up vision.  The brain then determines which eye to use depending on what you are looking at.  I had been corrected with monovision for many years, but stopped when I made the switch to soft lenses.  It's unclear (pun intended) whether this will work for me now, but I'm excited to find out.  I have as much trouble remembering where I set down my readers as I do remembering where I put my cell phone.

My bottom line here is this:  If you have cataracts and need or want surgery for them, DO IT!  You won't be sorry!  One of the best things I ever did for myself.

1 comment: