Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Contacts to Cataracts (Part 3)

Okay - The only thing I can say about the surgery is OH MY GOD!  It is pretty darn close to miracle status, in my humble opinion.

Surgery time was 8:00am, with scheduled arrival at 7:45am.  The worst thing about it was not being able to have anything to eat or drink 6 hours prior to the surgery.  What, no morning coffee?  What's a Seattle girl to do?  The sip of water with the pre-op Valium was not cutting it.

I met the surgical nurse and the anesthesiologist.  Everyone asks the standard questions - name, date of birth, why are you here, which eye are we doing today.  All my questions were answered, and I was assured if I felt a coughing spell coming on, just to let them know and it would be fine.  The IV was inserted and I was given a little something more to help me relax.  The rest of it happened very quickly.  I saw some colored lights.  I could hear talking around me, but I really wasn't paying much attention.  The next thing I knew, they were walking me out to the waiting room, and giving me coffee!  My day was looking better already (pun intended).

Just when I was ready for my second cup of coffee, the nurse stopped by to go over post op instructions, and before I knew it, we were headed for the car.

My surgical eye was still dilated, and I did not have a contact lens in my non-surgical eye, so I expected things to be quite blurry.  I have a strong tendency to motion sickness, so I was keeping my eyes closed.  A few miles down the road, I decided just to open my eyes to see what I could see.  It really is hard to describe.  I was able to read signs on the freeway, and on moving trucks, etc., without glasses or contacts for the first time since I was 8 years old.  My husband said I was like a kid with a new toy.  I was reading signs right and left, totally thrilled already, knowing that my vision would improve even more over the next few days.

I spent the rest of the day at home, just taking it easy.  I did put my contact in my non-surgical eye so I could watch TV and read.  I had no pain, and no itching.  Dealing with the variety of drops I had to use was kind of a pain in the ass, but more on that in an upcoming posting.

At my follow up visit the next day, my vision was measured at 20/25.  I am so happy with the results so far.  So glad my sister-in-law, my daughter's father-in-law's wife, and a number of friends encouraged me to have this surgery. 

It has been 2 weeks since that surgery, and my vision is amazing.  Tomorrow I have the other eye done, and I can hardly wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment