Sunday, January 8, 2012

Recipe Collection: Pesto Chicken


The Pesto Chicken was very tasty, and I used some of the pesto sauce as dressing for the spinach salad which made it more enjoyable as well.   The recipe comes from the HCG Diet Gourmet Cookbook by Tammy Skye.

100 grams of chicken tenderloin (or chicken breast) per serving
2 TBS lemon juice
Salt and Pepper to taste.

Marinate chicken in lemon juice, salt and pepper. Fry in a pan until lightly browned and cooked thoroughly.

Pesto Sauce:
3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup fresh basil
1 TBS apple cider vinegar
1/4 chicken broth or water
2 TBS lemon juice
1/4 tsp dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste.

Puree ingredients. Add mixture to pan and coat chicken, lowering heat to avoid overcooking.

Note:  I was making two servings so I doubled the recipe, but also made a few changes.  I used 2 large cloves of garlic only.  Personally, I would have added more, but my husband has been sensitive to garlic recently so I cut it back.  I found it hard to measure for 1/2 cup fresh basil, so I tore the basil and measured 1/2 cup and then added more because of the all the air inbetween the leaves.  I thought the sauce was smelling too tangy, so I only added the 1 tbsp of the vinegar, and used the juice of one small lemon, without actually measuring it out.  It looked to be about 2 tbs.  I'm glad I did not double the vinegar and lemon because it was still too tangy for me.  Next time I will probably leave out the vinegar.   I did add a little coconut oil to the pan when I first fried the chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment