Thursday, March 24, 2011

Recipe Collection: Cinnamon Chicken


The Cinnamon Chicken was a new recipe.  I baked it early in the day when I had time and then reheated it for dinner.  I think it would have tasted better eaten straight from the oven, not quite so soggy.  The original recipe called for crushed melba toast, but I substituted crushed pork rinds - That melba toast is a bitch to crush.  The recipe comes from the HCG Gourmet Diet Cookbook.

100 grams of chicken (I use 2 small chicken tenderloins)
1 serving melba toast crumbs  (I used about 10 pork rinds for 2 servings)
1/2 cup chicken broth (Having an 'oh duh' moment - when I doubled the recipe for 2 servings, I didn't double the chicken broth)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Pinch of nutmeg
Pinch of cardamom
1/8 tsp curry powder
Dash of garlic powder
salt, pepper and stevia to taste.

Regarding spices - I'm not one to measure.  I eyeball it.  I'm not sure what the difference is between a dash and a pinch.  Because I like garlic, I added approximately the same amount of garlic powder.  I did not add stevia.  Next time, I may add some tumeric.

Mix the dry spices in a small bowl.  Crush melba toast into fine crumbs.  And 1/2 of the spice mix to the melba toast crumbs. Dip the chicken in the broth, then in the melba toast mixture (next time I would probably do this shake and bake style with a ziplock bag).  Place the coated chicken in a shallow baking pan.  Add the other 1/2 of the spices to the chicken broth, and add to baking dish.  Use any left over melba toast mixture to cover the top of the chicken pieces.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.

I would make this again - I wonder how it would taste if I substituted almond meal for the crushed crumbs?  .

No comments:

Post a Comment