Thursday, January 27, 2011

Recipe Collection: Angel Wings, Cabbage Patch Soup, Caraway Beef Stew, Angel (Chicken) Wings


Angel Wings (from the Low Carb Comfort Food Cookbook)

20 chicken wings (or really any parts - I used wings and legs)
1 1/2 cup grated Parmesean cheese (the dry in a can type, not freshly grated)
1 tsp dry chopped parsely
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 tsp white pepper (I used black - I didn't have any white pepper and at $9+ per small jar, I decided black was fine)
1 cup butter, melted (I used only 1/2 cup - I'm sure a cup would have been dandy, but I have a family member on Weight Watchers and I was accomodating her)

Wash chicken and pat dry with paper towels.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease an oven proof baking dish or two (allow room for all the pieces with space inbetween) with olive or coconut oil.
In a side shallow bowl, combine dry ingredients, and mix well.  Put the melted butter in a separate bowl.  Dip chicken in melted butter first, then in dry ingredients, turning to coat all sides.  Bake uncovered for 45 - 60 minutes (originally recipe says 60, but my oven cooks hot and they were done in about 45 - 50 minutes).

This recipe is a bit like shake and bake, but much better - plus you control the ingredients.

Cabbage Patch Soup 

Brown 1 - 2 lbs lean ground beef/ground sirloin in a fry pan.  Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.  Put the browned meat in a large soup pot.  Saute 1 small chopped onion and 3 stalks of chopped celery in a little coconut oil, unless the onions are clear and the celery is soft.  Add to the soup pot.  Now add 1 box of low sodium beef broth (the large size), 2 tsps dry beef boullion (or up to 4 cubes) 2 cans of diced tomatoes, 1-2 tsp chili powder.  Heat to boil and then reduce to simmer, and cook 1 hour.  Then add 1/2 head cabbage chopped to soup and cook another hour.  Add additional seasoning to taste.  I always think it needs more chili powder and more salt.

This can be made in a crock pot as well.  Cabbage can be added at the start if you like.  Do brown meat, onions and celery first though.

Grilled cheese sandwhiches for those that can have carbs makes a good additional to the meal.

Beef Caraway Stew  (From The Low Carb Comfort Food Cookbook)

2 TBS  oil
2-3 lbs beef stew meat  (I'd say closer to 2 if you are feeding 4-6 adults)
2 TBS paprika
1 TBS caraway seeds (My family thought this was too strong, so unless you like caraway, maybe try 1 tsp)
1 TBS dried marjoram
2 tsp salt
10 small yellow onions, sliced (I used pearl onions, but I spent more than I wanted to.  I would use 1 sweet yellow onion, sliced)
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 TBS lemon juice (about 1/2 a lemon)
1 TBS flour
1 TBS tomato paste  (I didn't have any tomato paste, so I substituted 1 can of diced tomatoes added directly to the cooking pot)

In a dutch oven or stew pot, brown the meat on all sides in the melted oil.  In a small bowl, combine the paprika, caraway seeds, marjoram and salt, and mix well.  Add 1/2 of this mixture to the pot, once the meat is browned on all sides.  Add the onions, red wine and lemon juice.  Stir to blend.  Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender, about 2 hours. 

Once the meat is tender, remove 1/2 cup liquid from the pot and put it in a small jar.  Add the remaining spices, the flow and tomato paste (Note:  I added a can of dice tomatoes to the pot, in lieu of tomato paste.  I'm guessing one could substitute ketchup if you wanted).  Shake mixture and add to pot.  Stir to blend and simmer 15 minutes more.

My experience was that the meat was not as tender as I would have liked.  I think I would try this in a crock pot next time and let it cook all day on low, adding the last mixture 30 minutes before serving and turning the heat up to high.  I'd also offer a side of sour cream to add to the dish.

I made little red potatoes for my carb eaters and foil steamed cabbage to go along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment