Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Recipe Collection: Crab and Shrimp Fry


The Crab and Shrimp recipe is adapted from Caroline Sutherland's Crab and Shrimp Cakes recipe in her The Body Knows Cookbook.  I served it on sliced English Muffins topped with cheese for the rest of the family.  It got thumbs up all around.  I limited my portion to 3.5 oz.

1 lbs cooked crab (I used imitation crab/surimi  and my crab loving daughter said it was good - she couldn't tell)
1 lb cooked little shrimp
1 cup pork rinds, crushed
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp curry powder
1 clove garlic minced
1/2 red onion, minced
2-4 tsp low fat mayonnaise
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix crab, shrimp, garlic and onions.  Add in pork rinds and mix some more.  In a separate bowl, mix mayonaise with cumin, curry powder, salt and pepper.  Mix with crab and shrimp mixture. 

Heat this mixture in 2 tsp of coconut oil on medium heat until warm. 

Initially, I tried to make these into cakes, but I could not get the mixture to stay together.  I'm guessing it had more to do with the crushed pork rinds than anything.  The original recipe calls for crushed rice crackers.  I may have needed 2 cups of crushed pork rinds.  I may try this again, leaving out the mayo this time and heating the spices in 2 tbsp of coconut oil, then adding the onion and garlic to soften before adding the shrimp and crab.

No comments:

Post a Comment