Thursday, November 4, 2010

Recipe Collection: Chicken on a Diet, Jicama Hash Browns, Almond Muffins


Chicken On A Diet

Skinless Chicken Thighs
Diet Orange Soda
Low Sodium Soy Sauce
Garlic Power or Onion Powder
salt and pepper

Rinse and pat dry the chicken thighs.  Spray a 10 X 13 baking dish with Olive Oil Pam.  Put chicken in baking dish.  Sprinkle with garlic or onion powder, and salt and pepper.  Combine soda and soy sauce in a ratio of about 3 parts soda to 1 part soy sauce.  Pour over chicken.  Bake at 350 degree until done.

I didn't put cooking times or amounts in the recipe.  I've been making this version of chicken for years.  I use regular soda when I'm not on a sugar restricted diet.  This time I used boneless, skinless thighs, and covered them with the soda/soy mixture, turning them about every 10 minutes.  I cooked 10 thighs and it took about 40 minutes.

My favorite was is to use thighs with bones and skin, and not use as much of the soda/soy mixture, so that the skin crisps.  I've also used this soda/soy mixture in a crock pot with drummettes.  Careful not to cook too long for this one as the meat will fall off the bones.

Jicama Hash Browns

2 cups jicama, peeled and grated
1/2 thinly sliced onion
4 tsp garlic salt
2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper

Mix above in a bowl and set aside.  (One recipe suggested grating the jicama first, adding the salt, and allowing it to sit.  Then press out the water.  I didn't do this, but I probably would next time).  Melt 4 tbsp butter in a frying pan, medium high.  Add the jicama mixture and press flat.  Cover and cook until browned on the bottom.  Flip and repeat.

There were no times given with this recipe, and because I didn't press out the water, it took longer than I had anticipated.  My estimate would be about 10 minutes per side, similar to regular potatoe hash browns.

The results smelled really good, and I thought tasted pretty good.  I put a little grated cheddar on mine.  The rest of the family used ketchup.  The cheese was okay; the ketchup not so much. 

Almond Muffins

1/2 c. butter
1 egg
1 c. truvia or sugar substitute
1 1/2 c .almond flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 c. milk

Mix together butter, egg and sugar. Stir in dry ingredients alternating with milk. Bake in greased muffin "tins" for 20 to 25 minutes at 350 degrees.

CINNAMON MUFFIN TOPPING

4 tbsp. butter, melted
3/4 c. truvia (or sugar substitute)
1 tsp. cinnamon

Dip muffins in butter and roll in cinnamon sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment