Sunday, June 6, 2010

Rest In Peace, Robert Parker

I've recently turned my focus away from spiritual counseling/teaching and back to creative writing.   I'm not sure how other writers go about determining what they want to write, but I like to write what I like to read. 

I was very saddened recently to learn of the passing of one of my favorite writers - Robert Parker.  Mr Parker was the very talented author of the Spenser series, the Jesse Stone series, and the Sunny Randolph series.  What I discovered about myself in reading Mr Parker's work is that I am especially fond of the character development aspect of writing.  The very bringing of life to these stories through really 'knowing' the characters - identifying with them, anticipating their reactions based on past performance, and in that way becoming part of the story itself, albiet as an observer.  As I read his work, I would filter through my mental data bank of actors and do my own casting.  As an aside, I would never have cast Robert Urich in the role of Spenser.  He just did not fit my mental image of the Spenser that Mr Parker created.

I never understood the hullabaloo and carrying on about the death of Michael Jackson.  I will admit that Michael Jackson was a very talented artist, but he was not my cup of tea.  Now, Mr Parker, that's another story (pun intended).  Right now I am enjoying one of Mr Parker's last books in the Spenser series - The Professional.  In this book, the main character, Spenser, is talking with his cohort, Hawk, about a book Hawk is reading; a book by Janet Evanovich, another one of my favorite authors.  Just the mention of Ms Evanovich alone endeared me to the character of Hawk even more.  And, I want to know about about him.  I would buy more books so I could learn more. 

As anyone who has been wrapped up in a series of books (Harry Potter, Twilight, Robert Jordan, etc), or a soap opera for that matter,  would understand, I just want the magic of the stories to go on and on. I think I now understand a bit more about how Michael Jackson's fans felt.   I presume those fans just wanted to enjoy more of his music and to see what he would create next.

Mr. Parker, you will be missed.  Thank you for enriching my life, and helping me to see what kind of author I would like to be.

Now.....where is my Kindle?  I need to finish The Professional and start in on Split Image (the next in the Jesse Stone series).

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I wonder if Robert Parker is ready to be my spirit guide?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Ask him! ;-)

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY BETSY!!!!

    ReplyDelete