Wednesday, December 9, 2009

New Writers, Teachers, Speakers - Inspire Me

I am a big fan of The Artists Way by Julia Cameron. I have found the exercise of “Morning Pages” to be so freeing and eye opening. Some days, I write just blah blah stuff – what happened the day before, what I need to do today, why does my neighbor in the RV in the spot next to us leave at 4am each day, just random thoughts. Today, I got to thinking and writing about spiritual teachers, speakers and writers.


Now first let me get this disclaimer out of the way. I believe we are all teachers and we are all students. We learn from each other, and from our reactions to each other. So while I am watching what you are doing, listening to what you are saying, and observing how you are responding, you are doing the same with me. When I find someone that says something that appeals to me, I want to hear or read more from that person.

That thought led to the observation that, in my humble opinion, many of our well known authors of the New Age/Psychic topics seems to be recycling the same old thing under a different cover. Now there is nothing with recycling. Different words, strung together in different ways, will be more meaningful to some people, and less meaningful to another. That is why there can be a million books on Angels or the Law of Attraction, and still a call for more.

Have you ever noticed that the first books of a famous author are often times the best of their work? I have a theory on this. I think when writers first begin to write, it is a combination of a little bit of passion, a little bit of channeled inspiration, and a little bit left brained common sense. If you look at some of the bigger names in the field of metaphysics, their beginning work was almost always published by a smaller publishing house, if not self published. It seems to me that in using the smaller publishing houses, or self publishing, one keeps more of him/herself in the work. Maybe that is what appeals to me. The writer’s way of putting words together, before big name publishers and their editors get involved. Not that I have anything against big publishing companies. I don’t. And I’m appreciative of their bringing the work of some wonderful authors to the public’s attention, in a way that only big name advertising, from bigger companies, can do.

I guess I just want to encourage those of you who feel the pull to write, to channel, to teach, and/or to speak, to do so from your hearts and souls. It must be a passion. When the ultimate goal is to help others through your words and experience, your work will flow. Put being famous, having a big name publishing contract, or earning millions on the back burner. If that is part of your path, it will happen soon enough. In the meantime, just do the work and inspire us. I’m always looking for new teachers!

No comments:

Post a Comment