Sunday, October 4, 2009

Why Friends Are Important

Nine Reasons Why Friends Are Important
By Dr Steve Stephens, Psychologist and Seminar Speaker

1.  They laugh with us
2.  They cry with us.
3.  They build memories with us.
4.  They stand beside us.
5.  They confront us.
6.  They believe the best in us.
7.  They help us grow.
8.  They keep us from temptation.
9.  They enrich our lives

*********************************************************************************


Yesterday, I got to spend the day with some long time friends.  Note the use of 'long time' as opposed to 'old' - We are in our 50s, but we think that we think like we did in our 20s.  Eight out of Dr Stephens' nine reasons why friends are important apply to the women I will be seeing today.  Number 8 - keep us from temptation?  I've known these ladies a long, long time.  We did not keep each other from temptation - in fact, sometimes we egged each other on.  And those are the experiences that we now laugh about, because we have learned from them.  So in honor of my wonderful friends, here are my nine reasons why my friends are important:

1.  They laugh with and at me.  Yes, I've done and said some pretty stupid things in my life.  My friends will be the first to remind me of those things.  And I love them for it.

2.  They cry with me and sometimes because of me.  It would be pretty hard to be friends for 30-40 years and not at some point done something or said something that hurt each other.  But we work through it.  And these friends have cried sad tears with me over boyfriends, when my parents died, when my dog died, and the happy tears when I got married, when my kids were born, when my kids got married.  And I love them for it.

3.  They build memories with me.  The good and the bad.  The funny and the not so funny.  The ones I wish they hadn't shared with my kids, and the ones I'm glad they did.  The ones we continue to build, today included.  And I love them for it.

4.  They stand beside me.  Sometimes next to me, holding me up.  Sometimes in front of me, shielding me.  Sometimes behind me, to have my back.  But mostly next to me so they can remind me how short I am.  And I love them for it.

5.  They confront me.  They don't take my shit, and they don't let me wallow in my stuff.  And I love them for it.

6. They see the best in me.  And remind me of it when Ego gets in the way, and all I can see is the crap.  And I love them for it.

7.  They help me grow. No,  not taller, but to be all the I can be.  And I love them for it.

8.  They encourage me to try new things and to take risks.  When the things work out, we celebrate.  If not, refer to reason #4.  And I love them for it.

9.  They enrich my life, in ways that I can't even put into words.  I wouldn't be me if it weren't for them.  And I love them for it.

2 comments:

  1. great points and a great reminder of how blessed I am to have the friends I have :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Betsy :) Love the new blog format. Very easy to read>:) Safe travels!

    Many Blessings
    Lisa B.

    ReplyDelete