Monday, September 7, 2009

IN DEFENSE OF CLUTTER

You may look at my desk, and see clutter. I look at my desk and see that everything I need to do is right there. I tend to be suspicious of anyone with a tidy, clutter free desk. Years ago, when I worked in a medical office, my desk looked like a disaster, but I could put my hands on anything and everything in a blink of an eye. I knew where everything was. There was an office rule – Don’t mess with the piles on Betsy’s desk. When I left that job, my replacement came in and always had a spotless desk. I couldn’t figure out how she remembered what needed doing, if it wasn’t in front of her face. Turns out she didn’t, and she is no longer in that job.

What we call clutter can be a good thing. It keeps things out visible, in front of our eyes, and demands our attention. It’s what we do with the clutter that counts. Some clutter needs to be released and discarded. Some clutter needs filing away for safe keeping. Some clutter just needs attention and to be dealt with. We get in trouble when we no longer see the clutter.

Today, I see and appreciate my clutter. I am listening to the message my clutter has to offer. Release and let go of that which I no longer need. File or place things of value in a place for safe keeping (or viewing). Work on the projects in front of me, on my desk, for it is a place of honor and respect. It’s my working altar!

~Betsy~

2 comments:

  1. Hi Betsy,
    Thanks for your kind comments regarding my Blog. It is lovely to link with you. Love your article about clutter, I am a Feng Shui consultant and yet the stuff still has a way of creeping up on me - especially in the office, you did make me smile when I read your piece.
    Many Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Betsy,
    Thanks for your kind comments regarding my Blog. It is a joy to link with you.
    I loved this article on clutter, it really made me smile. I'm a F.Shui consultant yet somehow the stuff seems to creep up on me - especially in the office!
    Many Blessings

    ReplyDelete