Monday, August 31, 2009

Why Can't We Be Friends?

(Originally posted May 2, 2009)

I am in the middle of the third book in the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer. The heroine of the story is Bella, a high school student, living in Forks, Washington. She is constantly being torn between her boyfriend Edward and her best friend Jacob. Edward is a vampire, and Jacob is a werewolf. Their kinds have been sworn enemies for generations upon generations. It’s a great series and I highly recommend it. If you liked the Harry Potter series, you will like this as well.


I lived on the Washington Coast for many years, and never once did I see a vampire or a werewolf, so that part is a bit difficult to relate to. However, like Bella, I remember being in a position in school (grade school through high school) where one of my friends would be mad at another friend, and I was expected to take sides. If I was friends with Sally, I couldn’t be friends with Mary. But what happens if I really like Mary? Having to choose one over the other wasn’t fair and it just sucked.

Fast forward 30 – 40 years. Oh my God, I’m in the same situation. It’s another Mary and another Sally – all grown up. Neither Mary nor Sally thinks I should like the other one because they are mad at each other. When do we intend to grow up? If you were my friend and I was yours, would you really care if I liked lima beans? Would I care if you liked cherry soda? Should it make a difference if liked rap music and I didn’t? Should it make a difference if I watched NCIS everynight, but you preferred to watch the news? I would hope our friendship was built on something more than specifically who or what we like or don’t like. Either you like me or you don’t like me. It shouldn’t matter that I enjoy a friendship with someone else, especially if I have no intention of asking both of you to join me for coffee or tea at the same time. What is the point in forcing a neutral friend to take sides? It’s not my fight! Consider me Switzerland! (Borrowed that line from the Twilight series – thanks to Stephenie Meyer.)

Pardon Me – I’m 54. Am I Still In High School?

Why do some people think they can just tell lies about you to your friends, and expect to get away with it? This happened to me this week. There was nothing to be gained by this person for telling this made up story, other than to possibly damage my reputation. But what is my reputation to anyone but me? I don’t get it.

But More Importantly….

Why the heck am I attracting these experiences? Is it an opportunity to turn the other cheek, or is it an opportunity to stand up for what I believe in? If it was a soul contract thing that I agreed to prior to incarnation – what the heck was I thinking, and where was my Angelic Council to talk me out of it!

~Betsy~

No comments:

Post a Comment