Sunday, August 30, 2009

Is Honesty Always The Best Policy?

(Originally posted June 15, 2009)

Sure. That’s a no brainer right? If the answer were no, could you then hypothesize that lying is the best policy. Maybe honesty is the better policy is more accurate. That said, is there such a thing as too much honesty? Too little honesty?


If you ask “Do these jeans make my butt look big?” – well, think about it. If you have to ask, then probably the answer is yes. Otherwise, you wouldn’t even have thought about it. You’d be thinking, “Dang these jeans look good on me!” But (pun intended), let’s say you did ask me that question. Do I respond with, “Yes, they do make your butt look big, but your butt is big – what do you expect?” or do I say, “Why not try on another pair to see if you can find something more flattering” or do I say, “The question really is, do you like the way those jeans fit and feel?” All three answers could be true. Is one more true than the other? Obviously the last two are more tactful than the first. What if you really liked those jeans AND they did make your butt look big? Would you really want to know? Or would it be okay for me to lie about it? Does it matter? It’s not that big of a deal. Or is it?

If it is okay to lie about that situation, is it okay to lie when someone asks you if you are upset or mad at them? Would it matter if you were just a little peeved, and knew you would get over it soon? Is it okay to fib and say nothing is wrong in lieu of making a mountain out of a molehill? Does there come a time when there are so many fibs that you can’t even see the molehills because you are smack dab at the base of the mountain? What happens then? Do you climb the mountain or haul ass back to base camp?

Is a fib to a spouse/partner different from a fib to a friend or to an employer? Does it ever come down too choosing the lesser of two evils. Yes, I’m annoyed with you, but no I don’t want to admit it, and I definitely don’t want to talk about it because it really is not such a big deal and I will get over it much faster if I don’t have to listen to you pick it apart and analyze it to death.

Honestly, I don’t have the answer here. Mostly this is just me trying to work out in my brain how I could have dealt with a situation better. If I had admitted to the little annoyances, could I have avoided a life changing situation? What if the annoyances were key in producing the life changing situation which I know was for my highest good?

Perhaps this would be a better journaling topic than a blog topic? However, I know if I am wondering about stuff like this, someone else is probably wondering about it. If that someone is you, I hope you’ll share your thoughts here.

~Betsy~

No comments:

Post a Comment