Sunday, August 30, 2009

Fear vs Love - Thank You Emmett Fox

(Originally posted May 12, 2009)

Each morning, about 6am, my husband and I take a walk. During this time, we talk about how we see the day going, plans for the future, what we saw or read the day before that made us laugh or gave us pause to think. I hate to admit it, but my portion of the conversation recently has been focused on the challenges I’ve been facing over the past few months. Politely, I’d say I was processing. Honestly, I’d say I was bitching and whining. I do try to bring it around to ‘what is the lesson here’, but I spend 90% of the time rehashing the situation, and only 10% focusing on letting go. I’ve given up trying to understand what happened. Depending on who is telling the ‘story’, there are three or more versions of what happened. For the casual onlooker, the real truth is in there somewhere – a little bit of this, a little bit of that. Bottom line, however, is that it doesn’t really matter why it happened, or what transpired to bring about the current outcome, it is what it is. I can’t change the past, but I can focus on the future. That is the gist of part of our conversation each morning.


Every day I mentally set out thinking, okay – I’m over it. But then something happens that brings the issue right back to the forefront in my mind. I feel a bit like that line from Godfather III – “Just when I think I’m out, they pull me back in.” Dang those thoughts. I know they are creative. I know that by focusing on them, talking about them, processing them, that I’m just putting out the potential to repeat the experience or have the current one continue on. I’m not liking it one bit – the experience or the talking about it. I know better. So in this morning’s meditation time, I asked for help. And of course, help came my way.

I flipped open a book called, Around The Year With Emmett Fox . It opened to the reading for May 6th. The Bible reference is Matthew 5:43 – 47. The primary quote is “But I say unto you, love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you and persecute you…”

Okay – well, enemies is a bit strong. Hate – probably also not true. Curse and persecute – okay on a small scale it sometimes feels that way. Here is what Fox has to say:

“Love is God and is therefore absolutely all-powerful. Meeting hatred with Love is the perfect method of self-defense in all circumstances. It renders you absolutely invulnerable to any kind of attack.

“If you receive bad news, if you are unhappy in your work, or in your home, feel out mentally for the Presence of divine Spirit, all around you, affirm its actuality; and claim that God has dominion over all conditions, and you will soon be free.”

This is not new news to me. I’ve been working with this teaching for years. But something in the way Emmett Fox worded the lesson reached out and touched me today. I’ve found a new affirmative prayer. I’ll rephrase a bit and say “Meeting fear with love is the perfect method of self-defense in all circumstances. It renders you absolutely invulnerable to any kind of perceived attack.”

Thank you Father/Mother/Creator God and angels for helping me to see the divine truth in this situation. Help me to rise about the perceived problem, to let it go and to let God help me to move on. Help me to look only through the eyes of Love.

And so it is.

~Betsy~

No comments:

Post a Comment